FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: HISTORIC LANDMARKS Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words historic and/or landmark, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on May 17th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Historic Landmarks will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, May 18th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Don Kingfisher Campbell


I Dream


I'm peeking out at the sliver of light

Visible because the crimson blanket

Draped over the standard rectangle

On the side of our backroom bedroom

Tries to cover a narrow concrete alleyway

Where the sound of a passing animal

Skittering across the makeshift fence

Of stacked green plastic panels which lie

Onto chain link usually standing firm to

The miniscule weight of a squirrel or cat

But on this still overcast Friday morning

I see in the long finger of brightness

A horrific sight a cylindrical object 

Rumbles by in the low hazy gray sky

As if being towed by armored tank

I hear a shattering explosion not far

Away how can this be I am in America 

I shrink back pulling my blanket closer

And listen for another heavy blast on

What should be an air of Pacific cool 

I believe I'm in a war zone unsettled

The click of the clock radio wakes me

To caffeine fueled banter of two hosts

I am relieved it was only a chimera yet

Disturbed that somewhere in the world

This is someone's reality every day





Two-Dimensional Ghost Octopus

Two circular eyes on top of its head
Look across the air of midnight
Big red mouth agape at its tendrils
Which act like ethereal arms and legs
Feeling for a concrete substance
In a painted square universe
Trapped for several weeks or months
Until somebody paints it over
And it will be gone forever unless
An artist returns and reincarnates





I got the slightest taste of Gaza

When the roofers came
Walked on my roof
Tore off the old shingles
Hammered in new plywood boards
The next day they returned
Laid down insulation
And proceeded to plug in
The portable air pressure gun
Shot rows of nails into each tile
The noise was like a barrage
Of bullets being fired with
The occasional heavy clunk
Placing more ammo above
I felt assaulted and ran
Outside to escape the war
In my Cube parked at the curb
Unlike the people trapped 
In an unrecognized country
Without permission to leave
Denied food and supplies
For uncountable months



No comments:

Post a Comment

Marvinlouis Dorsey

I've  never seen a tree takin a nap