FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: HISTORIC LANDMARKS Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words historic and/or landmark, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on May 17th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Historic Landmarks will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, May 18th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Friday, May 17, 2024

Jeffry Jensen


SLIPPING IN SOME HISTORIC SNIFFS


Spring came in a picnic basket

I rolled over in the freshly mowed grass

A poet was let off his leash near the jungle gym

The woods were crackling with new life

Solitude began more provocative by dusk

A squirming mouse took a right turn at the cattails

I was not ready for Dante in adolescence.

My sophomore history teacher expected me to master the Inferno.

My sophomore German teacher expected me

to get higher than 80% on vocabulary tests in order to pass

Baudelaire still was not ready for my menagerie

The air had escaped its cage before Ovid came home

Paris had some new palaces in the spring season

Pasadena had a touch of melancholy going majestic

Evening had all the charm of a poet in bliss

Rimbaud took a whole season for an experiment in Hell

Green water went delirious on a Friday in May

The doctor called to ask me about a bone job

Solomon walked into oblivion before PBS could see color

I had so many major loves go south before I could

Identify any landmarks that could find an impassible river


No comments:

Post a Comment

Marvinlouis Dorsey

I've  never seen a tree takin a nap