FOUR FEATHERS PRESS ONLINE EDITION: HISTORIC LANDMARKS Send up to three poems on the subject of or at least mentioning the words historic and/or landmark, totaling up to 150 lines in length, in the body of an email message or attached in a Word file to donkingfishercampbell@gmail.com by 11:59 PM PST on May 17th. No PDF's please. Color artwork is also desired. Please send in JPG form. No late submissions accepted. Poets and artists published in Four Feathers Press Online Edition: Historic Landmarks will be published online and invited to read at the Saturday Afternoon Poetry Zoom meeting on Saturday, May 18th between 3 and 5 pm PST.

Tuesday, May 14, 2024

Lorelei Kay


ELLIE LAND

 

In my daughter’s kitchen,

we view dire culmination

of family reunion feast.

 

 Dishes waiting to be washed

 sink waiting to be scrubbed

 floors waiting to be swept.

 

A honey-hued mass of curls

bounces by, hazel eyes gaze up,

as a small hand reaches out,

 

“Grandma,

come play

hide-and-seek

 

I place her three-year-old hands

in my sixty-plus-year-old hands,

and chase off to play her tender game

 

leaving her mother

to the drudgery of the colossal

kitchen clatter.

 

I cover

my eyes,

count,

 

“Onetwothreefourfive,

sixseveneightnineten.

Here I come to find Ellie.”

 

Then it’s my turn to hide

in the Never Never Land

of childhood

 

and escape

the Ever Ever Land

lying ahead of me.

 

If only I could stay hidden here,

safe, and forever young,

in Ellie Land.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Marvinlouis Dorsey

I've  never seen a tree takin a nap